Monday, July 21, 2008

Just Say No To Stress


There's a tiny, terrifying countdown in my planner. Today, it proudly proclaims, "12 days until Kate gets hitched!" As the pressure mounts and the to-do list grows, I find myself less the Blushing Bride and more a crazy stress case.

I'd feel better, I suppose, if the alterations on my wedding dress were done. No such luck--last Friday, when I was supposed to take it home, the lumpy bodice issue had yet to be fixed. I regret to say that there were tears. My mom did her tight-lipped, efficient anger thing. Hey, presto! They're going to do their best... I don't hold out much hope, given their track record. But you know what? I have a fabulous photographer who's a whiz with Photoshop. So, if nothing else, I'll look good in the pictures!

Luckily, my soon-to-be-husband is adept at dealing with what we like to call the "Katie Kaboom" phenomenon. When I shared fears that I thought my dress might be ugly, he said, "Honey, you could show up to the wedding in a bath towel and you'd still be gorgeous."

Sweet, no? I'm so glad I'm marrying him! I'm trying to remind myself that that's the important thing. I want to take a day to just go lounge at the Naked Spa and ponder the deep meaning of marriage... but I'm not sure I'll be able to. After all, I have luminaries to make...

Any advice on how I can calm down (without torturing Mike, that is)? Is there any way I can stubble the stress and enjoy my last few days as an unmarried lass? I want to be a gracious bride, not Bridezilla!

3 comments:

Mom said...

I love your "Bridezilla" picture and the Katie Ka-Boom video!

The wedding will be lovely, everyone will have a great time - let happily ever after begin!

Mindy said...

Phew! The countdown is almost over! All the "thinking and sweating and cursing and crying" (name that song?) Have you tried yoga? :)

I can't wait to see the pictures!

Tara said...

My advice: she who is flexible will not be bent out of shape. Kind of goes along with Mindy's yoga suggestion, doesn't it? :) But seriously, of course you want everything to be perfect, and it should be perfect after all your planning and hard work. But you might as well expect that one or two things will be coming apart at the seams (hopefully not your dress!). But regardless of what falls apart, and at the end of the day you will be married to the right man, and you'll have all the people who are important to you there to celebrate. It's a great happily-ever-after, even with the mishaps that may be inevitable. All's well that ends well! :) I'm wishing you lots and lots of good wedding luck from half way across the continent. Love you!