Monday, August 4, 2008

Husband and Wife!

This past Saturday (August 2nd), Mike and I enjoyed our beautiful wedding in my parents' backyard. The ceremony--lasting a mere 11 minutes--was great. I walked down the aisle to the theme music of The Princess Bride, only to be greeted by tulle-wrapped garden gnomes at the end of my stroll (long story, but suffice to say it was hilarious). Everyone was laughing or crying. Mike and I whispered private jokes to each other during the ceremony and afterwards, my grandmother came up to me and quipped, "It's a pity you didn't look very happy."

Yeah, I think my face muscles are still twitching from all the smiling!

Of course, I could agonize about a million tiny details or questions. What about the typo on one of the chocolate wrappers? Did I say "um" too many times during our thank-you toast? Were people offended that we didn't spend enough time with them? (What they say is true... it really did go by in a blur...)

But I guess the only valid worry is about whether or not our guests had as much fun as we did. I truly hope that everyone who came (especially everyone who helped out beforehand!) knows how much we love and appreciate them! We are so fortunate to have had so many wonderful people sharing such an important moment of our lives.

In the days before the wedding, my (adorable) father agonized over every detail, because he wanted me to have "my perfect fairytale wedding." And I told him not to sweat the details: I was going to have a perfect day because I was marrying the right guy. I was going to have a perfect day because I'd be surrounded by the family and friends who've supported us all our lives, who've taught us how to love with respect, compassion, and patience.

Well, I was right about the wedding. It was an absolute fairytale--one of the best days of my life. But you know what? The next day was even better, because I got to wake up in bed next to my favorite person in the world. I got to hear him say, "Good morning, wife!" and I got to say "Good morning, husband!" right back to him. Somehow, I don't think that will ever get old. Even when we're wrinkled and toothless, I'll still be tickled that I had the good sense to marry this wonderful man!

More details--and pictures--soon. In the mean time, I'm off to pack for the honeymoon!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Katie!! I am so happy for you! Congrats again and again! I can't wait to see more photos of you and your family! Lots of love!!!

Tara said...

What a beautiful bride! And a beautiful post - I'm so glad you had a fairytale wedding. :) I only wish I'd seen you in person. So you'll have to post gazillions of pictures for me to let me relive the moments. :)
(By the way, Happy B-day!! I miss you!)

ryan said...

So I am just catching up and am so happy to hear how wonderful your wedding was! You definitely deserved the best! And I can't wait to see more pictures - you look beautiful!! Congratulations! Hope the honeymoon was fabulous!