Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Midsummer Night's Flashback


If you're on Facebook, you probably know by now that I was involved in a theatrical production at RRHS. No, really. Having a few hang-ups left about the whole high school experience, I approached the entire experience with trepidation. (As David T. joked, "Your journey to the Darkside is complete. Indeed you are powerful.")

Actually, it was really fun--helped me clear a few skeletons out of my closet and reminded me of all the good times. I had some serious flashbacks. It wasn't just the theatrical rituals (like passing the squeeze) or the familiarity of the space (sitting in my old chair in the green room while doing makeup). It was the kids themselves... the flirting backstage, the obsessive analysis of what a boy's actions might mean, and the excitement of a show romance. There were kids making comments I actually remember saying (almost word-for-word), most noticeably "I can't wait to graduate and go to a college far, far away from here."

It made me quite nostalgic. It also made me quite grateful that I am an adult now, and have weathered some of those self-identity storms! I'm sure there are more on the horizon, but I know myself much better now than I did the last time we performed A Midsummer Night's Dream at RRHS.

Now, if only I could reconcile myself to how easy it was to make me look matronly for the show... :)

1 comment:

Tara said...

Wow, Katie!! I always wondered if you would somehow end up back on stage at RR -- I love it! Now I have to go get on facebook to read all the threads about it - you know this will keep me up all night. :) I hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving!